Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) is a major U.S. airline and the world’s largest low-cost carrier headquartered in Dallas, Texas.
The airline was established in 1967 by Herb Kelleher as Air Southwest and then adopted its current name, Southwest Airlines, in 1971 when it began operating as an intrastate airline wholly within the state of Texas. The airline has more than 55,000 employees as of July 2017 and operates more than 4,000 departures a day during peak travel season.
Southwest Airlines carry on allowance
Southwest Airlines carry on rules
|medication, baby food|
|nail scissors, shaver|
pocketknife (under 6cm
|gas, fuel lighter, aerosol tin|
Southwest Airlines carry on size
The reason for this is that the hand baggage in the compartment must have clearance above the seat, because it is there stowed during flight.
If you still looking for a suitable trolley for carry on, here the three best sellers on Amazon are listed.
- 20" SPINNER LUGGAGE maximizes your packing power and meets most carry-on size restrictions for those traveling domestically and looking to stay light
- PACKING Dimensions: 19" x 14.5" x 9.5", Overall Dimensions: 22" x 15" x 9.5", Weight: 6.81 lbs.
- 10 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Samsonite products are rigorously tested to ensure our products meet stringent standards. This bag comes with a 10-year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
- MICRO-DIAMOND POLYCARBONATE texture is extremely scratch-resistant, keeping cases beautiful trip after trip
- SIDE-MOUNTED TSA LOCKS act to deter theft, ensuring that only you or a TSA agent have easy access to your belongings when traveling
- Rowell, Rainbow (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 528 Pages - 05/09/2017 (Publication Date) - Wednesday Books (Publisher)
- EXPANDABLE & LARGE CAPACITY: This extra large travel backpack with expandable feature offers you more packing capacity. Unzipping to get 40L storage then can easily hold packing cubes, make-up bag, outfits, camera bag and gear, etc. It fits overhead and under seat while on state of standard carry on size, is ideal for men, women, weekend traveler, or occasional vacationer. This versatile luggage backpack also meets airline carry-on requirements, for airlines such as Easy Jet, Spirit, Jet Blue
- CONVERTIBLE DESIGN: The carry on backpack is designed with hideaway padded shoulder straps which can be easily stored away in zippered back panel, transforming this vacation backpack from carry-on duffel to briefcase style and provide you a more flexible carrying experience. A luggage strap on the back is designed to fit on luggage/suitcase, for easier carry on international travel or cruise
- EASY TO CARRY: The luggage backpack is light to carry due to its adjustable shoulder straps, comfortable air-mesh ventilated back panel. Two padded grab handles are set on the top and the side of the travel backpack, making it easily to take the bag from an overhead bin. The best gift choice for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas, New Year, Valentine's Day
- BUILT FOR TRAVEL: Front compartment is for little gear such as notebook, pen, phone, earphone. The large inside pocket has internal compression elastic straps. The padded straps include a sternum strap that can be adjusted upward or downward, set to go across your chest, relieving the weight from your shoulder. 4 external compression straps keep contents from sloshing around and can get an inch or two more of vertical space also reduced stress on the zippers.Best father's day gift for dad
- DURABLE and LIFETIME : This large travel backpack is made of water resistant lightweight polyester with lockable zipper heads. Coud be survived in different temperatures. With study zippers and decent stitching, this backpack won't show any defects when on the go, ensuring you an unforgettable weekend getaway. Does your partner like to travel? It's an ideal Women's Day gifts for her. It's also a practical Christmas and New Years gift for your parents, children, traveler, school kids
Southwest Airlines carry on weight rules
Southwest Airlines carry on may weigh no more than a certain weight.
If the baggage is too heavy, Southwest Airlines charged in case of weight control additional charges for excess baggage.
Although it is rarely the case that Southwest Airlines controlled the weight of hand luggage, but it is recommended nevertheless the carry on before check-in at the counter to weigh the trolley.
For additional laptop bag, there is no weight restriction on Southwest Airlines.
In order to make sure in advance to that one’s carry on meets the guidelines of the airline, you can weigh your luggage with a luggage scales.
The latest digital luggage carts are small and portable. Therefore, they can even be taken along for the ride.
- High-accuracy sensor and rubber-textured handle surface. Capacity: 110lb/50kg, Graduation: 0.1lb/50g
- Avoid Overweight Fees: Hook your suitcased for instant weight and save time before you wait in line
- Built for Travel: Weight before you go and fit the scale in pockets without adding excessive weight
- Thermometer temperature sensor in both F° and C°. Know your delicate luggage is in an ideal climate
- Tare and auto-off functions included to preserve both time and energy; Low battery and overload indication; Automatically lock weight results
Why are there guidelines for dimensions and weight?
In recent years, the establishment of low cost airlines have got more an more important in things of cabin baggage dimensions and weight of the carry on.
The reason for this is: The lower the weight of the aircraft, the less fuel is consumed.
Therefore airlines who advertise cheap prices try to fly with as little luggage and kerosene on board als possible.
Because both are heavy in bulk and cause more fuel to be consumed. And this is becoming more expensive since the crude oil that is required for production is a fossil and thus continuously runs out of commodity.
In order to save as much as possible and thus to make the highest profits the aircraft may be light weighted.
For this reason, there are guidelines for travel and hand luggage for passengers. Anyone with a larger or heavy luggage has to pay additional fees.
Now you can decide as a passenger whether you want to fly with a conventional carrier such as »Lufthansa« or with a low cost airline like Lufthansa subsidiary »Germanwings«.
At Lufthansa ticket innately costs more since more weight and larger dimensions for carry on is allowed in general.
At Germanwings you pay a lower ticket price but less luggage ist accepted and it is determined that any additions have to be paid.
Someone who only flies for a short trip and will not take a lot of luggage, is normally better off at the low cost airlines.
Who goes on a long journey and wants to travel with more luggage or value on service, will get away with more conventional airlines.
Of course there are premium, first class or business class tickets where it is permitted to take fundamentally more luggage with you, but these are also much more expensive.
Southwest Airlines Hand Luggage restrictions
Southwest Airlines was known for years to notoriously look out for hand luggage that violated their regulations in order to charge additional fees. On the internet there exist numerous stories where air travelers had to pay high fees additionally with Southwest Airlines because their hand baggage was a few centimeters too long or slightly too heavy.
But since late 2013 process of rethinking started at Southwest Airlines.
After Southwest Airlines’s image has been severely affected by this approach and other not customer oriented practices, the Irish low-cost airline launched a campaign to improve customer service.
Since then, there have been no systematic checks on hand luggage anymore that aim to charge additional fees for minor infringements.
Checking the hand luggage at Southwest Airlines: No uniform procedure
Nowadays, there is no uniform approach at Southwest Airlines when checking cabin baggage. When flying with Southwest Airlines it is important to know that there is no uniform approach if the hand luggage gets checked. This applies not only to Southwest Airlines but also to other airlines.
The reason for this is that the luggage check-in and the boarding are often carried out by airport staff or even external service providers.
Only if an airline is strongly represented at an airport – e.g Lufthansa at the airport in Munich – the acceptance of the luggage and the boarding is done by own employees.
Like everywhere else, the staff at the airport is responsible for check-in and boarding. They are also taking their job differently accurate. Some people have to pay additional fees for only exceeding two or three centimetres but others see things more casual.
This is why experience reports occur in which users report how exactly their hand luggage was checked.
Cabin bagagge check: At the check-in or at the gate
There are two places at the airport where the size and weight of the carry-on can be checked.
First at the check-in desk when you leave your luggage. In some cases the size and the dimensions of the luggage are also getting checked.
The second place is after the safety check at the gate when boarding.
If you are only flying with hand luggage and you have no baggage to check-in, then your hand luggage can only be checked at the gate.
As a rule, the size and weight of the luggage will be more strictly checked during baggage check-in than during boarding at the gate. The reason for this is that the staff just has more time to. Furthermore, all check-ins are equipped with scales with which the hand luggage can easily be checked without much additional effort.
Due to the tight clocking of flights – especially with Southwest Airlines – the time pressure is particularly large.
At most airports there are no scales at the gates, so the weight of the luggage cannot be checked during boarding.
It is therefore unlikely that boarding will be subject to minor violations of hand luggage regulations. This is especially true for slight overshoots in weight.
If at all, the outer dimensions are usually checked during boarding.
Only when it is clearly visible at first sight that the luggage bag is larger or heavier than permitted, it is likely that the employees are also looking more closely.
Even if there is little probability of boarding because of minor overshoots, you should be aware that you are only 100% safe if you are 100% compliant.
Handles and rollers count as hand luggage measurements
Regularly, the questions comes up whether the wheels and handles of trolleys are counted to the hand luggage dimensions.
Yes, the handles and rollers count to the size of your hand luggage.
According to the regulations, rollers or handles of a trolley must not protrude from the metal frame in the event of a check which is used to check the dimensions of the hand luggage.
The manufacturer’s information is unimportant.
For every suitcase, backpack or other piece of luggage, the dealer usually specifies the outer dimensions in the product description.
Many use this information as a benchmark to determine if a piece of luggage meets the requirements of Southwest Airlines for the hand luggage.
However, this only makes limited sense. In the event of a hand luggage check, the luggage piece must fit in a metal basket with the airlines defined dimensions.
Luggage items with flexible outer shells normally depend on how fully packed they are. If you pack a backpack or a bag only half full, they easily can be compressed to the permitted dimensions.
Backpacks are less strictly controlled than trolleys. This not only applies to Southwest Airlines but also to other airlines.
Backpacks are not handled as accurate as trolleys since they can be compressed easily due to their flexible cover.
In addition, the airport staff probably assumes that backpacks will not weigh more than allowed as you permanently have to wear them on your back during the journey.
Hand luggage regulations have their purpose!
On some flights you have to put your hand luggage under the seat because all the hand luggage compartments are full.
Even if hand luggage regulations are often not so strictly controlled, one should not understand this as a license to take much more with you than allowed.
In particular, the size limitations of the hand luggage has their meaning.
The space in the hand luggage compartments in the airplane is limited.
The compartments in an aircraft can normally accommodate up to 90 large hand luggage pieces. However in an aircraft the can fly up to 189 passengers.
Nevertheless, the space in the hand luggage compartments can become scarce if a part of the passengers take significantly too large hand baggage into the airplane.
Something like that is annoying for the other passengers and for the ship personnel because the space in the aircraft cabin is particularly narrow.
Therefore, one should not exceed the requirements for cabin baggage not only because of the imminent additional charges but also as fairness to the other passengers and the crew.
Hand luggage too big or heavy? Recommendations for action!
Clear overshooting of the permitted dimensions for the hand luggage at Southwest Airlines should be avoided. Therefore some recommendations for action are always helpful.
1. Advice: Read the hand luggage regulations
Much stress can be avoided by checking out Southwest Airlines hand baggage rules carefully before booking.
2. Advice: Do not buy a new suitcase for a few centimetres too much
If your hand luggage is only some centimetres too large you normally do not have buy a new carry-on.
Nowadays, the risk of paying extra fees is just too small to justify the cost of a new cabin trolley. The same applies to bags.
Although hand luggage don’t to cost a fortune.
3. Advice: Avoid clear violations of hand baggage regulations
Clear breaches of the rules of Southwest Airlines should, of course, be avoided.
In case you do, prepare yourself probably having book your your hand luggage for an additional fee and some unpleasant discussions. Sooner or later this will happen if you regularly violate regulations.
In addition, it should be remembered that other passengers and crew members are adversely affected by the fact that passengers might take to much cabin baggage with them.
4. Advice: Pay attention to the dimensions when purchasing
If you buy a new hand luggage suitcase for Southwest Airlines you should watch out for the right measurements of the suitcase.
Don’t rely on the dealer information since these are partially inaccurate. Therefore you should verify those at home on any case you buy. If necessary send it back and order another.
This applies in particular to hard cases.
5. Rather go early to the airport
At the security check-in at the airport you should expect waiting times.
Especially with Southwest Airlines it is recommended to schedule a time buffer and to arrive a little earlier at the airport.
If the carry-on is actually checked and marked as too big or heavy, then you still have time to fix the problem somehow.
Last update on 2021-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API