First of all: What is carry-on luggage?
Hand luggage is luggage that can be taken by the passenger during the flight in the cabin. This is usually limited to one carry-on per passenger and is subject to certain rules, such as weight or size limitations.
Buying advices for hand luggage
With four instead of normally two rolls a piece of luggage can be more easily maneuvered. Further, when a role breaks, the trolley can still be handled quite well with the three remaining. It is also very convenient if the roles are replaceable.
Whether you prefer a hard or soft shell, is a matter of taste. Meanwhile both types and their materials are similar stable and fail-safe. If sensitive and expensive items are transported, you should of course use a hard shell with the highest stability and inner damping. For primarily clothing a soft shell is enough and also easier to handle during flight.
The material of the board luggage should be very light and durable. For hard cases you can choose between aluminum and various high-quality plastics (Curv, ABS, polypropylene, polycarbonate). The most innovative plastic currently is Curv. This is extremely light, unbreakable and resistant to abrasion. It is made from a polypropylene film that has been cut into so-called “polypropylene tapes” and which are getting heated and stretched. Subsequently, a tissue is formed with multiple layers out of the threads. The trolley is then formed out of the tissue. For soft luggage there is a choice between polyamide (nylon, Perlon) and leather.
In terms of design of luggage there are some significant differences. Luggage – from Rimowa for example – offers a unique sovereign and stringent design made of aluminum with grooved lines, which guarantee stability. In particular, the trolleys made out of crude, uncolored aluminum gained a certain cult factor and recognition value, but are also correspondingly expensive. In general: The more sophisticated and perfected the design is, the more expensive is the product. A good price/performance ratio offer a American Tourister or Rockland Baggage.
The more striking and personalized a piece of luggage is, the faster and easier it can be found at the baggage claim. With a bright color or an unusual imprint it can easily achieve this.
Which carry-on suitcases are recommendable?
Due to the large range of different cases, however, it is not always easy to make a decision.
Depending on the equipment, budget or duration have to make a choice, which case is the optimum for the journey.
A good guide always might be to look for the best sellers on Amazon.
Carry-on bestsellers on Amazon
- 20-inch hardside spinner luggage for weekend getaways or as international carry-on
- Protective hard shell with scratch-resistant finish; made of extra-thick ABS (thicker than the competition) for enhanced strength and durability
- Fully lined interior with divider; 150D-polyester interior organizer with 3 zippered pockets for conveniently storing smaller items
- Expandable for up to 15% additional packing capacity; solid, strong zippers; telescoping handle for comfortable maneuvering; securely mounted short handle
- 4 double spinner wheels ensure smooth-rolling mobility in any direction
- Travel with the same carry-on innovations professional flight crews use including an external USB port for recharging any USB device from the dedicated charger pocket. Battery pack is not included
- High-quality ballistic nylon construction, a stain- and scratch- resistant DuraGuard coating and damage-resistant SUPRA zipper heads for long-lasting durability. Premium leather low-profile top and side carry-handles, full-length interior lid pocket, side mesh, wet pockets, adjustable straps, removable hanging garment bag
- 8 self-aligning magnetic 360-degree dual spinner wheels for smooth, straight rolling without drifting and a PowerScope Extension Handle to minimize wobbling with stops at 38", 40" and 42.5"
- Backed by our built for a lifetime limited worry free warranty that covers the cost of repair for damage from airline or other common carrier for the first 3 years after registration under the trusted companion promise
- Case Dimensions: 21 x 14 (can expand an extra 2") x 9; Overall Dimensions: 23.5x14.5x9.5, Weight 7.2 lbs
- Cabin-size 20 inch luggage case with hard-shell exterior
- Stylish geometric exterior pattern will make you stand out from the crowd
- Small enough to be used as a carry-on or even for daily work use
- Adjustable telescoping handle, comfort grip, and TSA lock
- 360-degree spinner wheels for excellent mobility
- Premium hardside spinner luggage for weekend getaways or international carry-on; built-In TSA lock
- Protective hard shell made of supremely durable, yet flexible, polycarbonate material (instead of ABS like the original); choice of stylish color
- Fully lined interior with divider; compression pad helps free up space; 150D-polyester interior organizer with 3 zippered pockets for securing smaller items
- Expandable for up to 15% additional packing capacity; solid, strong zippers; sturdy telescoping handle; securely mounted short handle
- 4 double spinning wheels ensure smooth-rolling mobility in any direction; AmazonBasics 3-year limited warranty for luggage