First of all: What is carry-on luggage?
Hand luggage is luggage that can be taken by the passenger during the flight in the cabin. This is usually limited to one carry-on per passenger and is subject to certain rules, such as weight or size limitations.
Buying advices for hand luggage
With four instead of normally two rolls a piece of luggage can be more easily maneuvered. Further, when a role breaks, the trolley can still be handled quite well with the three remaining. It is also very convenient if the roles are replaceable.
Whether you prefer a hard or soft shell, is a matter of taste. Meanwhile both types and their materials are similar stable and fail-safe. If sensitive and expensive items are transported, you should of course use a hard shell with the highest stability and inner damping. For primarily clothing a soft shell is enough and also easier to handle during flight.
The material of the board luggage should be very light and durable. For hard cases you can choose between aluminum and various high-quality plastics (Curv, ABS, polypropylene, polycarbonate). The most innovative plastic currently is Curv. This is extremely light, unbreakable and resistant to abrasion. It is made from a polypropylene film that has been cut into so-called “polypropylene tapes” and which are getting heated and stretched. Subsequently, a tissue is formed with multiple layers out of the threads. The trolley is then formed out of the tissue. For soft luggage there is a choice between polyamide (nylon, Perlon) and leather.
In terms of design of luggage there are some significant differences. Luggage – from Rimowa for example – offers a unique sovereign and stringent design made of aluminum with grooved lines, which guarantee stability. In particular, the trolleys made out of crude, uncolored aluminum gained a certain cult factor and recognition value, but are also correspondingly expensive. In general: The more sophisticated and perfected the design is, the more expensive is the product. A good price/performance ratio offer a American Tourister or Rockland Baggage.
The more striking and personalized a piece of luggage is, the faster and easier it can be found at the baggage claim. With a bright color or an unusual imprint it can easily achieve this.
Which carry-on suitcases are recommendable?
Due to the large range of different cases, however, it is not always easy to make a decision.
Depending on the equipment, budget or duration have to make a choice, which case is the optimum for the journey.
A good guide always might be to look for the best sellers on Amazon.
Carry-on bestsellers on Amazon
- Pockets: 2 interior zip
- Expandable abs carry on
- Lightweight yet extremely durable abs material
- Multi-directional spinner wheels
- Sturdy ergonomic aluminum telescoping handle
- Stylish and innovative design is constructed with lightweight and durable ABS exterior with molded corner reinforcement for maximum impact resistance
- Roomy, fully lined interior features garment restraints and a zipper pocket
- Lid features a large u-shaped zipper pocket
- Convenient and flexible top and side handles allows for easy lifting; Side bezels allow upright to stand on its side
- Four wheel construction allows upright to be rolled in any direction; Retractable locking handle system
- 4-wheel spinners rotate 360° providing superior maneuverability
- Telescoping handle adds length and strength, stops at 38 inch and extra-tall 42.5 inch
- Patented contour grip for more comfort
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Overall Dimensions H: 21.25in x W: 14.25in x D: 8in; Weight 5.7lbs
- 20" x 13.5" x 9"
- 4 spinner wheels
- Locking telescopic handle
- Multi-directional spinner wheels
- Sturdy ergonomic chrome telescoping handle. The button has to be pushed in all the way for it to be able to pulled out or pushed in.
- Organizational pockets and compression straps
- A playful print entertains the lightweight polycarbonate shell in Rockland's 20" carry-on luggage.